Chow Yun-Fat Biography
Chow Yun-Fat, birthed as 周润发, was born upon May 18, 1955, in Lamma Island, Hong Kong, China. He grew up in a modest family members with his mom, a homemaker, as well as his father, who worked on a Shell Oil tanker. As a kid, Chow assisted his household gather and also market scrap for additional revenue. He attended the neighborhood True Light Middle School, where he acquired a love for acting.
At the age of 17, Chow left institution as well as sought a career in acting. He signed up with Television Broadcasts Limited (TVB) in Hong Kong and functioned there as a television actor for numerous years. Chow showed up in preferred TV series such as "The Bund" (1980) and "Shanghai Bund" (1983) before making his first big-screen look in "Miss Oyster" (1978).
Surge to Stardom
Chow's significant development can be found in the late 1980s when he starred in a collection of effective films directed by John Woo. These films consisted of "A Better Tomorrow" (1986), "A Better Tomorrow II" (1987), "City ablaze" (1987), as well as "The Killer" (1989). Chow promptly became a house name in Hong Kong and also Asia, as well as his work with John Woo significantly affected the modern-day action genre.
Chow made his Hollywood launching in 1995 with the lead function in the motion picture "The Replacement Killers". Regardless of mixed evaluations for the movie, Chow remained to operate in Hollywood and appeared in popular films such as "Anna as well as the King" (1999), together with Jodie Foster
, and also seriously well-known movies like Ang Lee's
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (2000). In the years that complied with, Chow continued to work in both Hollywood and the Hong Kong movie industry, starring in remarkable films such as "Bulletproof Monk" (2003) and also "Curse of the Golden Flower" (2006).
Chow Yun-Fat continues to be active in the movie market, usually starring in Chinese blockbuster films. Some of his current job consists of the journey film "From Vegas to Macau" (2014) and its follows up, "Cold War 2" (2016), "The Monkey King" (2014), and "Project Gutenberg" (2018).
Awards and also Achievements
Throughout his profession, Chow has been recognized many times for his acting capacities. Several of the honors he has actually received consist of Best Actor at the Hong Kong Film Awards for his functions in "A Better Tomorrow" (1987), "City On Fire" (1988), as well as "All About Ah-Long" (1990). Chow additionally won the very best Actor honor at the Golden Horse Film Festival for his role in "Prison on Fire" (1987). In 2009, Chow got the Star Asia Lifetime Achievement Award at the New York Asian Film Festival.
Chow Yun-Fat wed his first wife, Candice Yu, in 1983, however they divorced after nine months. He after that wed his second partner, Jasmine Tan, a Singaporean in 1986. The couple has one son, that was born in 1991. Chow is recognized for his realistic character and also commonly maintains a basic as well as small way of life despite his popularity and wide range.
Throughout his life, Chow has actually remained devoted to charity job and philanthropy. He has given away countless bucks to different causes worldwide, stabilizing his work as an award-winning actor with his function as an altruistic.
Our collection contains 9 quotes who is written / told by Chow.
Related authors: Ang Lee (Director), Jodie Foster (Actress), Lawrence Taylor (Athlete)
- 1978 Their Private Lives
- 1980 Joy to the World (Romance, Comedy)
- 1981 The Story of Woo Viet (Crime, Drama)
- 1981 The Executor (Action, Crime, Drama)
- 1982 The Head Hunter (Action)
- 1983 Bloody Money (Drama)
- 1983 The Bund (Drama)
- 1983 Last Affair (Drama, Romance)
- 1984 Love in a Fallen City (Romance, Drama, War)
- 1984 Hong Kong 1941 (Action, War)
- 1986 Love Unto Wastes (Drama, Mystery, Romance)
- 1986 100 Ways to Murder Your Wife (Romance, Comedy)
- 1986 A Hearty Response (Crime, Action, Comedy)
- 1986 Witch from Nepal (Horror, Action, Fantasy)
- 1986 Dream Lovers (Drama, Romance, Fantasy)
- 1986 Rose (Romance, Drama)
- 1986 The Missed Date (Drama, Romance)
- 1987 Rich and Famous (Action, Crime)
- 1987 Spiritual Love (Horror)
- 1987 The Romancing Star (Comedy, Romance)
- 1987 Tragic Hero (Crime, Action)
- 1987 Prison on Fire (Drama, Thriller, Crime)
- 1987 City on Fire (Crime, Thriller, Action, Drama)
- 1987 An Autumn's Tale (Drama, Romance)
- 1988 Fractured Follies (Drama, Comedy, Romance)
- 1989 God of Gamblers (Action, Comedy, Drama)
- 1989 A Better Tomorrow III: Love and Death in Saigon (War, Action, Thriller)
- 1989 The Killer (Action, Crime, Drama, Thriller)
- 1989 Triads: The Inside Story (Drama, Crime)
- 1989 Wild Search (Crime, Thriller, Romance, Drama)
- 1990 The Fun, the Luck & the Tycoon (Comedy)
- 1991 Prison on Fire II (Crime, Drama, Thriller)
- 1992 Hard Boiled (Action, Thriller, Crime)
- 1992 Full Contact (Crime, Action, Thriller)
- 1994 Cinema of Vengeance (Documentary)
- 2000 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Adventure, Drama, Action, Romance)
- 2003 Bulletproof Monk (Action, Comedy, Fantasy)
- 2004 Crossings: John Woo (Documentary)
- 2006 Curse of the Golden Flower (Action, Drama, Fantasy)
- 2007 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Adventure, Fantasy, Action)
- 2007 The Making of Stranglehold (Documentary, Action)
- 2010 Confucius (Drama, History)
- 2010 Shanghai (Drama, Thriller, Mystery, Crime)
- 2011 Beginning of the Great Revival (Drama, Action, History, War)
- 2012 The Assassins (Drama, History)
- 2012 The Last Tycoon (Drama, History)
- 2014 From Vegas to Macau (Comedy, Action)
- 2014 The Monkey King (Action, Adventure, Family, Fantasy)
- 2016 From Vegas to Macau III (Action, Comedy)
Source / external links: