Laurence Olivier Biography
|Born as||Laurence Kerr Olivier|
|Born||May 22, 1907|
Dorking, Surrey, England
|Died||July 11, 1989|
Steyning, West Sussex, England
Laurence Kerr Olivier, born upon May 22, 1907, in Dorking, Surrey, England, was one of the most prolific actors of the 20th century. Olivier's parents, Gerard as well as Agnes Olivier, were Anglican promoters, and also he grew up in a strict religious atmosphere. Regardless of his parents' long for him to end up being a clergyman, Olivier was drawn to the cinema.
Olivier began his acting job in 1924, working in various repertory business. He promptly obtained recognition for his skill, as well as in 1929 he signed up with the Old Vic Company, where he came to be understood for his classic Shakespearean performances. By the mid-1930s, Olivier was extensively regarded as one of the best stars of his generation.
In 1937, Olivier co-founded the distinguished Shakespeare Memorial Theatre (now the Royal Shakespeare Company) in Stratford-upon-Avon. He continued to execute on phase and in film throughout the 1940s and 1950s, making many awards as well as important recognition for his work.
During World War II, Olivier offered in the Royal Navy, yet he continued to act in movies as well as to tour with the Old Vic Company when he was able. After the war, he transformed his focus to movie directing, and also in 1948 he routed and also starred in the film adjustment of Hamlet, which won four Academy Awards, consisting of Best Picture and Best Actor for Olivier.
In the 1950s as well as 1960s, Olivier remained to act in movies, including Richard III (1955), which he also directed and also created, and Spartacus (1960), in which he played the villainous Roman basic Crassus. He also showed up on Broadway, winning a Tony Award in 1957 for his function in The Entertainer.
Regardless of his success on phase and also screen, Olivier had problem with clinical depression throughout his life. He also experienced a debilitating respiratory illness that compelled him to stop cigarette smoking in the 1960s.
Olivier was knighted in 1947 and made a life peer in 1970. He was awarded honorary doctorates from several universities, including Cambridge as well as Oxford. In 1979, he obtained a special Academy Award for Lifetime Achievement in Film.
Olivier continued to act until his death on July 11, 1989, from complications of kidney failing. Throughout his occupation, he appeared in over 120 films and also guided several others. He has been called the greatest actor of the 20th century by numerous doubters as well as stays an adored number in the world of theater as well as film.
Our collection contains 18 quotes who is written / told by Laurence.
Related authors: Mel Gibson (Actor), Anne Edwards (Writer), Michael York (Actor), John Osborne (Playwright), Tom Baker (Actor), Liam Neeson (Actor), Patrick Troughton (Actor), Tom Flynn (Celebrity), Matthew Bourne (Dancer), Judi Dench (Actress)
- 1931 Potiphar's Wife (Romance)
- 1931 The Yellow Ticket (Drama)
- 1935 Moscow Nights (Romance, War, Drama)
- 1936 The Conquest of the Air (History, Documentary)
- 1936 As You Like It (Comedy, Romance, Drama)
- 1938 The Divorce of Lady X (Comedy, Drama, Romance)
- 1940 21 Days (Drama, Romance)
- 1940 Pride and Prejudice (Drama, Romance)
- 1941 That Hamilton Woman (Drama, History, Romance, War)
- 1941 Words for Battle (Documentary)
- 1953 The Beggar's Opera (History, Crime, Music)
- 1959 The Moon and Sixpence (Drama, TV Movie)
- 1959 The Devil's Disciple (Drama, War, Comedy, History)
- 1965 Bunny Lake Is Missing (Mystery, Thriller)
- 1965 Olivier Talks About Othello (Documentary)
- 1965 Othello (Drama)
- 1966 Khartoum (History, War, Adventure)
- 1968 The Shoes of the Fisherman (Drama, Thriller)
- 1969 David Copperfield (Drama, TV Movie)
- 1969 Oh! What a Lovely War (Comedy, Music, War)
- 1970 Three Sisters (Drama)
- 1972 Lady Caroline Lamb (Drama, History, Romance)
- 1973 Long Day's Journey Into Night (TV Movie, Drama)
- 1974 The Rehearsal (Drama)
- 1975 Love Among the Ruins (Drama, Romance, TV Movie)
- 1976 Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Drama, TV Movie)
- 1976 The Magic of Hollywood... Is the Magic of People (Documentary)
- 1976 The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (Mystery, Thriller)
- 1976 Marathon Man (Thriller)
- 1977 A Bridge Too Far (Drama, History, War)
- 1978 The Boys from Brazil (Drama, Mystery, Science Fiction)
- 1980 The Jazz Singer (Drama, Music, Romance)
- 1981 Clash of the Titans (Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Romance)
- 1983 Mr. Halpern and Mr. Johnson
- 1984 The Bounty (Action, Drama, History)
- 1985 To Be Hamlet (Documentary)
- 1986 Directed by William Wyler (Documentary)
- 1989 War Requiem (War, Drama)
- 2004 Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Mystery, Action, Thriller, Science Fiction, Adventure)
- 2011 Discovering Hamlet (Documentary)
- 2018 Nothing Like a Dame (Documentary)