' Secrets' is the second studio album by American singer Toni Braxton, launched on June 18, 1996, by LaFace Records. The album features a mix of R&B, soul, and pop music genres, showcasing Braxton's effective vocals and outstanding songwriting abilities. Braxton worked carefully with a team of talented artists and manufacturers, consisting of Babyface, Tim & Bob, R. Kelly, and Tony Rich. The album secured 3 Grammy Awards for Braxton and has actually since become her most commercially successful task to date, selling over 15 million copies worldwide.
Following the success of her self-titled debut album in 1993, expectations were high for Braxton's sophomore release. Eager to prove herself as a flexible and long-lasting artist, Braxton looked for to create a more varied collection of songs for 'Secrets.' To accomplish this, she collaborated with a few of the music market's most prominent manufacturers, writers, and artists at the time, such as Babyface, R. Kelly, and Diane Warren. This assisted to develop a more well-rounded and diverse musical offering, displaying Braxton's creative development and maturity.
Track Listing and Song Highlights
' Secrets' has a total of 12 tracks, with 3 interludes between some essential songs, producing a smooth transition and giving the album a cohesive feel. Some significant tracks from the album consist of:
1. "Come On Over Here" - This uptempo R&B track, produced by Tim & Bob, opened the album and set the tone for the rest of the task with its memorable melody and uplifting message.
2. "You're Makin' Me High" - The lead single from the album, this song showcased a sexier side of Braxton and earned her a Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
3. "There's No Me Without You" - A genuine ballad about the depths of love, showcasing Braxton's soulful vocals and capability to communicate deep feeling.
4. "Un-Break My Heart" - Perhaps the most popular track from 'Secrets' and among Braxton's signature hits, this powerful ballad made Braxton another Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. Composed by Diane Warren and produced by David Foster, the tune ended up being a chart-topping hit across the globe.
5. "Talking In His Sleep" - A sultry and significant R&B track about heartache caused by extramarital relations, showing Braxton's ability to deal with questionable themes with level of sensitivity and passion.
6. "Let It Flow" - Originally included on the 'Waiting to Exhale' soundtrack, this smooth and relaxing song is a definitive Braxton classic.
Crucial Reception and Commercial Success
'Secrets' gathered widespread critical acclaim, applauded for Braxton's powerful vocals, emotive songwriting, and the album's diverse musical styles. The album debuted at second on the United States Billboard 200 chart and stayed in the leading 20 for more than 40 consecutive weeks. The album's songs also accomplished terrific success, with both "You're Makin' Me High" and "Un-Break My Heart" reaching primary on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
Beyond the United States, 'Secrets' received worldwide praise and ended up being a commercial success across countries such as the United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada. With over 15 million copies sold worldwide, 'Secrets' solidified Toni Braxton's status as a leading artist in the music market during the 1990s.
'Secrets' is a classic album that showcases Toni Braxton's special voice, sincere songwriting, and undeniable skill. With its mix of R&B, soul, and pop music, the album interest a large range of listeners and has stood the test of time as an iconic project in Braxton's excellent discography. From its chart-topping songs to its numerous awards, 'Secrets' remains a traditional piece of 1990s music history and a testimony to Braxton's amazing creative abilities.
Artist: Toni Braxton
Toni Braxtons inspiring biography, her rise to fame, music career, acting, & best quotes. Discover her story of resilience & impact on the industry.
More about Toni Braxton