David Remnick Biography

David Remnick, Journalist
Born asDavid Jay Remnick
Known asDavid J. Remnick
SpouseEsther Fein (1987)
BornOctober 29, 1958
Hackensack, New Jersey, USA
Age65 years
Early Life and Education
David Jay Remnick, an American journalist, writer, and editor, was born on October 29, 1958, in Hackensack, New Jersey. He was raised in Hillsdale, a nearby town, by his father, Edward C. Remnick, a dental practitioner, and his mom, Barbara (Seigel) Remnick, a school teacher. Remnick is of Jewish descent, and he discovered his enthusiasm for journalism in his high school years, where he dealt with the school's paper.

He continued his journalism journey at Princeton University, where he studied relative literature and finished with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1981. While at Princeton, Remnick had his very first direct exposure to the Russian language and literature, which would later affect his journalism career. He was likewise a member of the University Press Club, where he honed his writing skills.

Early Career and The Washington Post
After finishing from Princeton, Remnick ventured into professional journalism, working as a reporter for The Washington Post. He began his career covering sports however soon transitioned to covering other areas, such as the arts and politics. In 1988, he ended up being a Moscow correspondent for The Washington Post, where he spent 3 years reporting on the disintegration of the Soviet Union and the increase of Russia throughout the Gorbachev and Yeltsin eras. In 1992, Remnick won the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction for his book, "Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire", which is based upon his experiences in Moscow.

The New Yorker
In 1992, Remnick signed up with The New Yorker as a personnel writer. He covered a range of subjects, consisting of U.S. politics, worldwide affairs, and cultural figures such as writers and artists. In 1998, he became the editor of The New Yorker, succeeding Tina Brown. Under Remnick's leadership, the magazine has won many awards, including the National Magazine Awards for General Excellence.

Throughout Remnick's tenure as editor, the magazine has actually broadened its digital presence through innovative material such as a site, podcasts, and a strong social networks following. He believes in fostering diverse voices and has broadened the magazine's roster of contributors to include more women and individuals of color. Some of the noteworthy writers who have actually worked under Remnick's editorship include Atul Gawande, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and Jia Tolentino.

Author and Commentator
In addition to his work as an editor and reporter, Remnick is a well-known author. His books include "Resurrection: The Struggle for a New Russia" (1997), "King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero" (1998), and "The Bridge: The Life and Rise of Barack Obama" (2010). He is also known for his commentary on radio and tv programs like Charlie Rose, Meet journalism, and National Public Radio.

Personal Life
Remnick married Esther B. Fein, a fellow journalist who has actually worked for The New York Times, in 1987. The couple has three children: Alex (born in 1991), Noah (born in 1993), and Natasha (born in 1998). In addition to his journalism profession, Remnick takes pleasure in spending quality time with his family, checking out literature, and participating in cultural events.

David Remnick is a well-respected, influential figure in the world of journalism. As a writer and editor, he has chronicled substantial political and cultural shifts, from the collapse of the Soviet Union to the election of the United States' very first Black president. His dedication to journalistic quality and inclusion of varied voices has made The New Yorker among the most appreciated publications of its time. His work as an author, editor, and analyst will leave an enduring impression on journalism and literature for generations to come.

Our collection contains 1 quotes who is written / told by David.

Related authors: Tina Brown (Editor), Esther B. Fein (Reporter), Muhammad Ali (Athlete), Lawrence Taylor (Athlete), Barack Obama (President)

David Remnick Famous Works:
Source / external links:

1 Famous quotes by David Remnick

Small: 98% of the people who get the magazine say they read the cartoons first - and the other 2% are lying
"98% of the people who get the magazine say they read the cartoons first - and the other 2% are lying"