Dean Kamen Biography
Dean Kamen, born upon April 5, 1951, in Rockville Centre, New York, is an American inventor, entrepreneur, and also supporter for science and also technology. He is best known for his development of the Segway, an electrical, self-balancing individual transport vehicle, as well as his work in areas ranging from clinical technology to energy and also water purification.
Early Life and Education
Kamen was birthed to Jewish parents Jack and Evelyn Kamen. His papa, Jack, was an artist and illustrator who helped Mad Magazine and also Weird Science, while his mommy, Evelyn, was a teacher. Maturing in an imaginative and also nurturing environment, Kamen showed a very early interest in inventing and addressing troubles. His inspiration to come to be an inventor originated from his older brother, Barton, who was a clinical doctor.
Kamen attended Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) in Massachusetts yet dropped out without completing a degree. Rather, he chose to focus on his passion for creating as well as began his own business, AutoSyringe, which generated a wearable medicine mixture pump that he developed while he was still in senior high school.
Inventions and also Accomplishments
In 1982, Kamen established DEKA Research & Development Corporation, headquartered in Manchester, New Hampshire, to create new modern technologies and also creations. DEKA has generated a vast array of groundbreaking innovations, mainly in the clinical as well as transport areas.
Several of Kamen's many significant creations consist of:
1. The AutoSyringe - A wearable pump that might supply exact doses of medicine to clients, particularly beneficial for problems like diabetes mellitus that need continuous surveillance and therapy.
2. The HomeChoice dialysis device - This development revolutionized home dialysis therapy, permitting patients with end-stage kidney condition to go through therapy in the house as opposed to having to depend on health center visits.
3. The iBOT - An advanced wheelchair with the ability of climbing up stairways, traversing unequal terrain, as well as also elevating its customer to standing height, significantly improving flexibility for individuals with impairments.
4. The Segway - Perhaps Kamen's most popular innovation, this self-balancing personal transport tool was unveiled in 2001 and quickly amassed prevalent interest as a result of its ingenious innovation and also one-of-a-kind layout.
5. The Slingshot - A water purification system that can transform infected water into clean drinking water using a vapor compression distiller, supplying a potential service to the international water dilemma.
Campaigning for as well as Philanthropy
Aside from his creations, Kamen is likewise a determined supporter for science, innovation, engineering, as well as math (STEM) education and learning. In 1989, he started FIRST (For Inspiration and also Recognition of Science and Technology), an organization that intends to motivate youths's interest and involvement in STEM areas through robotics competitors and mentorship.
Dean Kamen has gotten countless awards and also honors for his work, consisting of the National Medal of Technology as well as Innovation, the Lemelson-MIT Prize, and honorary levels from numerous respected institutions. He was likewise inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2005.
In his personal life, Kamen is known for his eccentricities, including his love of denim clothing, his interest for aeronautics (he is a certified pilot), as well as his personal island, North Dumpling Island, off the shore of Connecticut. Kamen remains to promote for the power of development and STEM education and learning to transform lives and address worldwide obstacles, inspiring future generations to dream big and also seek their interests.
Our collection contains 27 quotes who is written / told by Dean, under the main topic Money
Related authors: Ice T (Musician), Lawrence Taylor (Athlete)
Source / external links: