"You Light Up My Life: Inspirational Songs" is the 2nd studio album by American country vocalist LeAnn Rimes, launched in 1997. This album is a significant departure from the mainly country sound of her launching album "Blue". Here, Rimes showcases her incredible singing range and flexibility, handling a collection of inspirational tunes that cover throughout categories, consisting of pop, gospel, and even Broadway, with standard hymns blended in for great procedure. The album received blended reviews from critics however delighted in remarkable commercial success, peaking at number one on both the Billboard 200 and Top Country Albums charts.
Track Listing and Notable Songs
The album consists of 12 tracks, each handpicked by Rimes for their psychological resonance and uplifting messages. A few of the standout tracks on the album are:
1. "You Light Up My Life" - This Grammy-nominated cover of the Debby Boone classic functions as the album's title track and was also launched as the lead single. Rimes' tender rendition topped the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart and ended up being a substantial crossover hit.
2. "The Rose" - A powerful cover of the Bette Midler tune, Rimes' analysis maintains the psychological core of the original while giving the ballad a youthful and emotional twist.
3. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Taking on Simon & Garfunkel's renowned folk-rock ballad, Rimes delivers a soaring performance that handles to be at the same time tender and powerful.
4. "I Believe" - A stunning cover of the Frankie Laine tune that showcases Rimes' extraordinary vocal range and capability to stimulate deep emotions with her voice.
5. "Amazing Grace" - Rimes revives this classic hymn with her ethereal vocals and a sparse, but stunning, piano plan.
6. "How Do I Live" - Though the song was initially taped for the soundtrack of the movie "Con Air", it found a long-term house on this album. This genuine ballad showcases Rimes' emotional vulnerability and turned into one of her signature songs.
7. "On the Side of Angels" - An uplifting, gospel-tinged number that resonated with Rimes' Christian faith and highlights her impressive vocal abilities.
Reception and Legacy
"You Light Up My Life: Inspirational Songs" gotten mixed evaluations from music critics, with some applauding Rimes' vocal efficiency and the album's nostalgic appeal, while others criticized its absence of cohesion and creativity. Nevertheless, the album's industrial success can not be denied, as it debuted at primary on the Billboard 200 chart with first-week sales of 186,000 copies, making Rimes the youngest artist, at 15 years old, to achieve that feat. Additionally, the album was certified 4x Platinum by the RIAA, representing over 4 million systems sold in the United States.
The impact of "You Light Up My Life: Inspirational Songs" on LeAnn Rimes' career is enormous. Despite the fact that her chart-topping days lag her, songs like "You Light Up My Life", "The Rose", and "How Do I Live" remain long-lasting classics and work as a testament to the remarkable singing skill and adaptability that moved Rimes to stardom in the late 1990s. This album not just helped establish Rimes as a formidable crossover artist but likewise played a substantial role in forming her profession trajectory as an artist who regularly defies category borders.
Artist: LeAnn Rimes
LeAnn Rimes, an award-winning country singer and actress. Discover her inspiring journey, iconic quotes, career highlights, and activism.
More about LeAnn Rimes